• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can animals tell if your into them?

Lets break it down even further, the basic construct of everything we know; the human language..
There are roughly 6,500 spoken languages in the world today. Each of them has been taught to different minorities of people.. Yet you wouldn't undertand another language if you didn't know it, right??..
What I'm trying to get to here is all of these languages were created by people.. The basis for everything you know was created at one point or another by mankind.. so in all technicallity our lives and what we believe; in the grand scheme of things is an illusion..

"Equivalent" (from the dictionary)  <b>a. </b> Equal, as in value, force, or meaning.<b>    b. </b> Having similar or identical effects.
<b>"Same"  </b>(also from the dictionary) a. Identical with what is about to be or has just been mentioned.  b. Being one or identical though having different names, aspects, etc.
Note that "equivalent" refers to having the same effects or value though different.   "Same" means means being identical regardless of name, value, or effect.
Animal intelligence is equivalent to human intelligence in function and sometimes in amount.  That is fact.  It allows properly educated individuals to live a life sufficient to be social and reproduce without outside agency.  We commonly summarize that condition under "adulthood".   (I say it that way so no one will moan about how their pampered and neutered pet would suffer in the wild) 
And that is why animals can be "equivalent" to humans (of any age) in some aspects but not "the same".   Put bluntly, how many 3 year olds have you seen with an erection much less offspring?  

Quote: 
And that is why animals can be "equivalent" to humans (of any age) in some aspects but not "the same".   Put bluntly, how many 3 year olds have you seen with an erection much less offspring?  
Im well aware of the definitions, thanks for posting them otherwise..
Nonetheless everyone has their own opinions; I wasn't trying to start a debate about it..
"put bluntly" I've never saw any 3 year olds with an erection, nor would I wish to see that.. And for the much less offspring part, I'm pretty sure that would be impossible anyways so how can it be compared to the "equivalency" of animals.. that argument is irrelevant..

Nonetheless I'm not going to make any further comment on this thread.. Because it's obvious I derailed it, sorry about that dane layer..

In what ways are humans like animals (of any age) ?? What physical ways.. What "aspects"?? I'm really struggling to understand your perception of this.. Nevertheless I just said I was done here, and I'm a man of my word..

Last response then I'm done, saying that animals have the same intelligence as humans is degrading to them honestly..
For humans being so intelligent we don't show it much.. For example we breed wars and genocide, and the destruction of the natural world around us.. The human race consists of lieing, cheating, everything having to have conditions (selfishness), the list goes on and on.. How is that comparative to the way a dogs mind works?? (or any other animal)
Let alone they have a completely different way of socializing then we do.. Now tell me again how are animals similar to us?? Any aspects will do..

Sorry if that came off as rude caikgoch..
I Didn't mean for it to sound that way [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/unsure.png[/img]
This is why I can't fit in anywhere., I have a problem with arguing with people... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]

I am not going to list the similarities between human and non-human animals because they are many, too many for this short discussion.   The differences are: size (though there is a lot of overlap), physical orientation (horizontal vs vertical spine though we can all move about), diet (though we can share most items as treats), language (though we can learn at least some of each others'), social structure (though all can learn each others'), and lifespan.   You will note that many of the differences come down to learned details.   Most of the rest can be easily overcome.
The one you can't beat is lifespan.  You could teach a dog complex mathematics because dogs do understand "more" vs "less" and that is the basis for counting and everything is built on counting.  The problem is that the dog has no time for all of the basic education that would have to precede it.
That is the point.  We are all animals and share many life events like sex and social interaction.  The differences are in expression, not motivation.   My "3 year old with an erection" is a way of emphasising the reason for the differences and ridiculing people that "Disneyfy" animals.   They have limitations put on them by their biology but so do we.  
These desires to kill each other for profit or religion are unknown to animals.  My guy is perfectly capable of killing anyone that pisses him off sufficiently but he won't do it because someone paid him to. 
Which brings us back around to the OP.  We have enough in common to want the same things and be able to communicate those wants to each other.

xtra: Don't worry about being rude to me.  I've been abused by the worst of them and I'm the one still standing.
You weren't anyway.

Quote:xtra: Don't worry about being rude to me.  I've been abused by the worst of them and I'm the one still standing.
You weren't anyway.

Ok, it's just I have this constant felling that people take offense to everything I say, I'm constantly paranoid [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/unsure.png[/img]
I know it's dumb to feel that way, but I do.. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/mellow.png[/img]
I Agree we do have some things in common with other animals, but the differences in my viewpoint, outweigh the similarities..
Anyways back on subject.. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]

Dogs are extremely intuitive of humans.  They have 10's of 1000's of years to become so.  And we'd be fools not to think that the first companion wolves around the cave fires weren't selected for their interactions with "their" people.  Not in any intentional "selective breeding" way that the people intended or even understood, just that they kept the ones around that they liked the best.  And the puppies that were the most social.  For generations.

So yeah, they pick up on people.  Some aren't interested.  They have their own doggie lives.  Some -are- interested in you/me.  And even if it starts as non-sexual/non estrus, they can quickly pick up on your "cues" (especially "zoo" people who are already attuned to dogs), and some --some-- offer themselves (sexually) to bond with you, even if they aren't in "heat".   Because they want to be part of your "pack"?  Because there's status value in bonding with the "alpha"?   Because a Dane cocking her tail and looking doe-eyed at you over her shoulder is clearly saying "I want to be with you" in the clearest way she knows how to?

And yeah, one of the funniest things is sitting on a little wicker chair, and having an English Mastiff you've just met start with her chin on your lap, and slowly (like you won't notice if she goes slowly enough) climb her entire 210Lb body into your lap, except the one leg she has to keep on the floor to not fall off.

Can she say any more clearly "I want to go home with you"?