• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can animals tell if your into them?

Quote:I used to know a dog that could spell.   She wanted nothing more than to go on walks and trips and so would be the first to the door if anyone said "go" or "out".  We started spelling the words ("g" "o").   It would take her less than a week to learn each new way to say we were going out.
The point is that even though she knew nothing at all about the alphabet, she could use it to communicate.   It works the other way too.   Humans that spend time with dogs learn ways to communicate with dogs even if they don't consciously realize it.   If you really want to understand how it works, go join a horse family.   Things as subtle as the angle of your head have meaning and you had better know what messages you are sending.
I am known for being able to walk up to other people's problem animals and have them well mannered in minutes.   It doesn't change how they act with their "owners" but it's an example of what can happen when you speak to an animal with clarity.  
So yes, if you signal sexual interest to an animal, don't be surprised when they return it.
​I often use body language in my training, and attempt to teach it to my assistant and to the horses owners. Along with soft speech and herd acceptance, it's one of the most valuable tools you can have.
sw

<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">Come boy! Off the couch! Aww, who's my widdle fur baby?
<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">It's an age-old debate: Do dogs understand the words their owners say to them, or are they just cuing in to the tone of voice?
<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">It turns out it may be both: <a style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weight:inherit;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;text-align:center;color:rgb(91,91,91);">Advertisement<div style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0pt none;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weight:inherit;height:185px;"><iframe frameborder="0" title="3rd party ad content" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" width="540" height="185" style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border-width:0px;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weight:inherit;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">Although the new findings don't prove that dogs fully understand all of the emotional aspects of human speech, they do show that dogs are at least paying attention to it, said study co-author Victoria Ratcliffe, a doctoral candidate in psychology at the University of Sussex in England. [<a style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weight:inherit;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);"><strong style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">Dogs sit, heel, shake paws and snuggle in response to commands and endearments from their human companions. Though a dog lover might insist that their little Hercules understands every single word, skeptics insist that dogs just pick up on people's intonation or other nonverbal cues.
<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">Indeed, studies have shown that <a style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weight:inherit;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">And on the other hand, some research suggests people may wrongly project human understanding and motivation onto their furry friends. For instance, one study found that <a style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weight:inherit;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">To figure out exactly what was going on in dogs' heads when people speak, Ratcliffe and her colleagues brought 250 pet <a style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weight:inherit;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">The sound that a dog hears in its right ear is processed mainly in the left hemisphere of the brain (and vice versa). So when a dog turns its head right as it listens to a sound, researchers can conclude its left hemisphere played a strong role in processing that sound, Ratcliffe said.
<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">In the trial, the researchers played a clip of the owners saying the words "Come on, then!" but with the emotion electronically stripped out of their voice, and with the sound changed so the voice itself could no longer be identified, Ratcliffe said.
<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">But other times, the dogs heard the owners say the same phrase, but with words garbled so they could not be understood. This emphasized the intonation and emotional content of the speech.
<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">The researchers found that dogs turned their heads to the right when they heard words without the emotions, suggesting the left hemisphere was processing that speech. By contrast, the dogs turned their heads to the left when they heard the emotional words, suggesting the right hemisphere was processing that content. And when they heard pink noise, a kind of static, the dogs didn't turn their heads in either direction.
<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);"><strong style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">Just like dogs, <a style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weight:inherit;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">"We can say at least that they seem to be getting both the verbal and the emotional, because they have biases for both," Ratcliffe told Live Science.
<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">However, it's still not clear exactly what the dogs understand. As a follow-up, Ratcliffe said, the team would like to give the dogs other commands with different types of information removed, and then see what they actually do. For instance, if a dog is told to stay, will it actually sit still indefinitely? (Those types of tests can be tricky because dogs may understand commands but choose not to follow them, Ratcliffe added.)
<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">Though fascinating, the findings aren't all that surprising, Marc Bekoff, author of "Rewilding Our Hearts: Building Pathways of Compassion and Coexistence" (New World Library, 2014), wrote in an email to Live Science. Humans and dogs go way back, and <a style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-variant:inherit;font-weight:inherit;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">"I bet we'll learn more and more about how we influenced dogs and they us as they formed a close and enduring bond with us and we with them," said Bekoff, who was not involved in the study.
<p style="margin:16px 0px;padding:0px;border:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(91,91,91);">The findings were published today (Nov. 26) in the journal Current Biology.

Interesting post dane layer [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/happy.png[/img]

Quote:What did the dog do when people spelled "v" "e" "t"? : )
​We were very careful not to do that though she did become suspicious when we were too obvious about going out and taking her.

Quote:I used to know a dog that could spell.   She wanted nothing more than to go on walks and trips and so would be the first to the door if anyone said "go" or "out".  We started spelling the words ("g" "o").   It would take her less than a week to learn each new way to say we were going out.
The point is that even though she knew nothing at all about the alphabet, she could use it to communicate.   It works the other way too.   Humans that spend time with dogs learn ways to communicate with dogs even if they don't consciously realize it.   If you really want to understand how it works, go join a horse family.   Things as subtle as the angle of your head have meaning and you had better know what messages you are sending.
I am known for being able to walk up to other people's problem animals and have them well mannered in minutes.   It doesn't change how they act with their "owners" but it's an example of what can happen when you speak to an animal with clarity.  
So yes, if you signal sexual interest to an animal, don't be surprised when they return it.
Interesting caikgoch.. I to have spelled out words and my dog seems to understand most of them.. They are Alot smarter than what people give them credit for..
Interesting enough he's never had a problem with the vet office, he likes all the smells of other dogs there, the only problem I've had is he marks his territory while there, nowhere else though, but that's normal with an intact male being in an area that's had hundreds of other dogs visiting [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Anyways It irritates me all talk of canines having the equivalent intelligence of a 3 year old human... It's humanizing an animal which makes absolutely no since as they are not even close to being human.. I love how people can throw theories out their ass and people believe them as if they are fact lmao..
 I had to laugh when you mentioned you can walk up to other people's misbehaving animals and have them listening in minutes; I've found myself to have that "gift" as well.. Its was to the point one of my friends even asked how I do it, and if I'd help train her dog.. I tried to help but her dog wouldn't listen to her, I'm still unsure why..
Anyways I agree with the last part, don't "be surprised when animals return back sexual intrest" as they are entirely capable of picking up on it, I don't believe this to be theory as I've witnessed this in person [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]

Now furthermore the claim "dogs don't feel guilt" is just that a claim.. Now if they show me legit mri proof I'll believe it, but I don't believe that it's just a submission act; that they do not have feelings.. People have claimed animals don't feel emotions for years.. That's highly unlikely as recent brain mri scans have proven dogs brains work in a similar way to humans when it comes to processing emotions, that much is clear.. There is alot of contradictory studies out there, just gotta look for em..

Quote:Interesting caikgoch.. I to have spelled out words and my dog seems to understand most of them.. They are Alot smarter than what people give them credit for..
Interesting enough he's never had a problem with the vet office, he likes all the smells of other dogs there, the only problem I've had is he marks his territory while there, nowhere else though, but that's normal with an intact male being in an area that's had hundreds of other dogs visiting [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Anyways It irritates me all talk of canines having the equivalent intelligence of a 3 year old human... It's humanizing an animal which makes absolutely no since as they are not even close to being human.. I love how people can throw theories out their ass and people believe them as if they are fact lmao..
 I had to laugh when you mentioned you can walk up to other people's misbehaving animals and have them listening in minutes; I've found myself to have that "gift" as well.. Its was to the point one of my friends even asked how I do it, and if I'd help train her dog.. I tried to help but her dog wouldn't listen to her, I'm still unsure why..
Anyways I agree with the last part, don't "be surprised when animals return back sexual intrest" as they are entirely capable of picking up on it, I don't believe this to be theory as I've witnessed this in person [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]
​I don't mind so much when people make that comparison.   It's been my experience that children have the intelligence, they just lack knowledge needed to use it.   Dogs are often like that.  They have the intelligence but lack the knowledge of the human world that would be needed to use it in a human fashion.   It seems kinda obvious that anyone growing to adulthood in just 2 years is going to have to take some shortcuts.

Quote:​I don't mind so much when people make that comparison.   It's been my experience that children have the intelligence, they just lack knowledge needed to use it.   Dogs are often like that.  They have the intelligence but lack the knowledge of the human world that would be needed to use it in a human fashion.   It seems kinda obvious that anyone growing to adulthood in just 2 years is going to have to take some shortcuts.
Right, but that comparison is one of the arguments people use against animals and zoophilia, they compare fully grown animals to children,.. Even though it's pretty obvious that a sexually mature dog is fully capable of consent and thought beyond that of a 3 year old..

Im my opinion, people need to stop categorizing animals as human, they are not.. They are obviously an entirely different species.. Who mature quicker then we do.. We are not the only capable species with free will to decide what we want.. Hence why I get irritated when people humanize an animal because it's always to say they have the equivalent mind of a child..
Or people will claim how they are a lesser being somehow.. Which I believe it's the other way around, look at how much chaos people have caused, and we are supposed to be "the superior species"
Jmo

Even with all of these scientific studies making claims, how are we to be sure they are 100% true or false.. (the reason why so many studies have contradictions when based with another) Nobody has the ability to live in the mind of an animal and find out for sure how their brain works, everything we know, scientifically has been made up by humans.. Its all in reality a theorist's creations.., labels made to explain the unexplainable..
Ive learned to overthink everything, it may be part of autism, but if you dont question everything, in the end of the day, how will you ever find out what is genuinely "real"??