• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Version 5

Quote:
On 9/21/2019 at 4:29 PM, heavyhorse said:

Your example--   And WTF are you doing trying to debate this on social media?  Specifically trying to create public spectacle?

Nvm, edited out once I grew a brain and read the warning above.

Quote:
On 9/22/2019 at 3:11 AM, silverwolf1 said:

Again, make this "Advocacy" debate a separate topic in the General forum. Last warning.

sw

Oops.  I didn't see this until now.  My bad.

Zoophilia is a strong sexual attraction to animals. All doctors want to do is feed you medications to try and fix you. Doesn't matter what kind of mental illness you have. The thing is, it doesn't work. Psych meds are a total waste of time and resources, as far as I'm concerned. We need to return to simpler times, when there wasn't any of this "hurr durr you are mentally ill" bullshit.

I don't know, there's this thing called clinical depression I have that is completely seperate from my zoophilia.  Meds have a leash on it for the most part.  I think they can be helpful but you need to understand they are not a magic fix.  You still need to put in the core effort.

Quote:
9 hours ago, cervids said:

I don't know, there's this thing called clinical depression I have that is completely seperate from my zoophilia.  Meds have a leash on it for the most part.  I think they can be helpful but you need to understand they are not a magic fix.  You still need to put in the core effort.

I thought I had depression too. Turns out it was just a natural reaction to my circumstances. Of course, no doctor will tell you that. As soon as I spent some time around a horse, I got better. Weird, isn't it? Meds do very little to help. They only cover up the issue at hand.

But if you think meds help you, then I suppose they're not all bad.

Depends on the diagnosis; most of psychiatry is a crackpot dispensing bullshit in little expensive pills.  The whole Zoloft/Lunesta etc. cracker-barrel.  

But a chemical imbalance (lithium for example) can really improve with meds.  

Or learning what answers they want during the sessions....... 

Quote:
23 minutes ago, heavyhorse said:

Depends on the diagnosis; most of psychiatry is a crackpot dispensing bullshit in little expensive pills.  The whole Zoloft/Lunesta etc. cracker-barrel.  

But a chemical imbalance (lithium for example) can really improve with meds.  

Or learning what answers they want during the sessions....... 

I don't disagree that meds are handed out a little too often, but they like everything have their uses. Just not for me.

As do some where you just talk. My Psychologist doesn't do as much for me as the dogs and horses do, but talking to her does help me sleep at night... sometimes.

The problem is, too many folks want to be patients today, whether they need the drugs and treatments or not, thus the opinion that both are ineffective and unnecessary among the folks who don't. Most folks simply don't need them, but then some of us simply do.

sw

Quote:
4 hours ago, HorseHoof said:

I thought I had depression too. Turns out it was just a natural reaction to my circumstances. Of course, no doctor will tell you that.

Might be for you.  There is nothing in my circumstances to warrant it.  I have worked for some amazing companies, done amazing things in my life, etc.  It's literally seasonally driven, like related to sunlight.  I believe the clinical term is SAD.  Kinda appropriate.

How much do weight do psychologists actually place on the DSM? I mean in any profession there are guidebooks, but actually the most important is experience. Like a book on how to paint vs actually painting a house.

Quote:
9 hours ago, HeartBeatOfTheBeast said:

How much do weight do psychologists actually place on the DSM? I mean in any profession there are guidebooks, but actually the most important is experience. Like a book on how to paint vs actually painting a house.

That's a good question, and I think it really depends on the doctor you get. The key word there is "experience". Get one fresh out of school, or still going for their PHD, and being mentored by another, and they're more likely to reference it. Also, what school of teaching they went through. Like all theoretical branches of science & medicine, there are many differing 'schools of thought' on diagnoses, treatment and causes. 

The field of Psychology is changing every day, with every new study, with every individual case. Most competent psychologists take a case by case approach, and use reference material as just that, a starting point.

sw