• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secure hardware

Quote:
On 8/26/2021 at 4:29 PM, caikgoch said:

Is your computer as old as your phone?    Because if it is, you aren't going to be able to watch anything shortly.   Firefox, your OS, and lots of other apps are changing how they render web content to "enhance security".    I have several computers that won't download or display most web content without an update and there is no update offered for the old hardware.

I'm unaware of any major changes besides the deprecation of flash...  You shouldn't have to "buy new" for anything that supports x86_64, which is virtually everything since...  2010.  And that is generous.

The main issue is the mfgr stops providing updates for that particular device.  Then you become vulnerable to every exploit since the last update you got.  So yeah you can still use your device offline forever, with the software it has at that point for the purpose it has always had.  As long as that purpose is offline.  On line, it's a huge security leak to you and any network you're on.  

And yeah I've gotten the warning that the phone I have  will brick when they build out 5G.  So there's that.  And the replacement phones are spying for China...... 

Quote:
On 9/2/2021 at 9:03 PM, heavyhorse said:

The main issue is the mfgr stops providing updates for that particular device. 

Your OS vendor generally provides updates.  Drivers are nearly never an issue anymore.  Have not been for some time.

Quote:
On 9/2/2021 at 9:03 PM, heavyhorse said:

And yeah I've gotten the warning that the phone I have  will brick when they build out 5G.  So there's that. 

Phones are another matter.  But you wish it was China watching you.  It isn't.

Your replies are somewhat impaired lately--  You doing OK?

Quote:
On 9/2/2021 at 11:03 PM, heavyhorse said:

The main issue is the mfgr stops providing updates for that particular device.  Then you become vulnerable to every exploit since the last update you got.  So yeah you can still use your device offline forever, with the software it has at that point for the purpose it has always had.  As long as that purpose is offline.  On line, it's a huge security leak to you and any network you're on.  

And yeah I've gotten the warning that the phone I have  will brick when they build out 5G.  So there's that.  And the replacement phones are spying for China...... 

Here's some useful information on that.   I may beaten them.   My phone that they are threatening to block is a Cat s61.   They sent me a $29 Walmart kid's phone to replace it saying that my phone wouldn't work on the new bands.    So I sent them spec sheets and pointed out that my phone was an enterprise class global work phone that covered every single band that the kid's phone did and 40 more.   I offered to get a lawyer involved if they needed more but they said that any phone that covered those bands would work (Federal law).

The difference that we didn't discuss is that the kid's phone is Android 10 and my phone is Android 9.    It's VoLTE and VoWIFI that they want.   Android 9 has VoLTE working but I need to upgrade to get VoWIFI.   The manufacturer has blocked upgrades but I'm studying ways around that.   The phone is capable according to their own features list.

You have my admiration. 

I'm not willing to pursue it to that point over a LG flip-phone.  I tried to replace it some time ago for one with a camera, but the one offered was a Chinese SpyBot POS.  We will see what the 5G offerings are.  If they actually build out 5G this far..... 

Quote:
2 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

You have my admiration. 

I'm not willing to pursue it to that point over a LG flip-phone.  I tried to replace it some time ago for one with a camera, but the one offered was a Chinese SpyBot POS.  We will see what the 5G offerings are.  If they actually build out 5G this far..... 

All of the 5g hype is advertising bs.   What they plan is to drop all voice channels and serve data only.    That's why you need VoLTE.   That lets them cram more users into the available bandwidth.   VoWIFI lets them skip building more towers in high density areas.   Be sure you get those 2 and everything else is how bad do you want and what can you afford.   I've been real happy with the choices and service on Newegg but you do have to handle the activation and migration yourself.

I am NOT into texting and cellphone internet.... 

Quote:
18 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

I am NOT into texting and cellphone internet.... 

Me either.