• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiya

Hey everyone,

I used to be around awhile back on knotty.me under the name myloverhasfur.  I think I made an account here, too, but don't recall doing anything with it.  I kinda dropped out of the community for awhile but have dived back in as of late.

In any case, I'm a cynophile, attracted exclusively to dogs but nevertheless married to a human.  I've also got a canine companion, but we're not intimate.  I enjoy math and fantasy books, among other things.

PERVERT !!

What's wrong with that guy ?!?

Enjoys MATH?  Now THAT's twisted!  

*Engineering degree here, sick to death of math by the third year.*

Well at least there's the Dog, so there's still hope--

Howdy anyway!  

Welcome To The Zoo!

Well there's a familiar name! Heyo <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/profile/4944-hamiltonianmechanic/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4944" href="<___base_url___>/profile/4944-hamiltonianmechanic/">@HamiltonianMechanic</a>

Quote:
On 7/17/2021 at 7:49 AM, heavyhorse said:

*Engineering degree here, sick to death of math by the third year.*

I apparently had the opposite experience.  I started out studying engineering and picked up a math major because I had a crisis over not having any more math requirements.

Some people are wired for math ... and then there's me ... I can't do calculus to save my life, nor some of the more exotic flavors of trig.

Anyway, welcome!

Quote:
12 minutes ago, threelegs said:

Some people are wired for math ... and then there's me ... I can't do calculus to save my life, nor some of the more exotic flavors of trig.

Pretty much.  

If I were in school today I'd probably be on some spectrum or other.  I can "see" math in a way, some numbers have "symmetry" and just flow, some less so.  

They lost me at "non-terminating differential equations" 3rd year.  Couldn't see it, couldn't understand how it got to a conclusion, just had to memorize every damn thing in the table in the back of the Chemical Rubber handbook that I thought might be on the test.  (And usually guessed wrong).  

Fortunately even back then the "real world" instructors said it was mostly busy-work, any outfit you worked for would have proprietary programs for doing what their requirements were.

Math is a tool.  Doesn't mean I like it.  I do it; you wanna know the fluid capacity of  the transfer case and reservoir for an obsolete D-whatever, or how much to let the wire sag, OK I'm good.  But what do non-terminating differential equations do again now---- ?   

Quote:
On 7/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, heavyhorse said:

Math is a tool.  Doesn't mean I like it.  I do it; you wanna know the fluid capacity of  the transfer case and reservoir for an obsolete D-whatever, or how much to let the wire sag, OK I'm good.  But what do non-terminating differential equations do again now---- ?   

While math is a wildly effective tool in many areas, that's not what really interests me; I just think it's neat and beautiful (on the whole, anyway; I can't say I have a great fondness for differential equations either).  It almost feels like art to me.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, by the way

ahhh hello and welcome...i think...