• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody here into 3-D printing?

Found this on e621.net ... tiny chrome-finish dragon would appear to be humping a man's dick ... note: the actual model as printed and assembled looks to be about a foot long; desperately cries out for wing membrane.

https://e621.net/posts/4008076?q=pb472

sounds expensive to me....

Quote:
4 hours ago, shortleash said:

sounds expensive to me....

I d/l'd the files for it, and some of the parts take a long time to print. And yeah, the feedstock requirements are given in grams at something like a couple bucks per.

When I saw this, I got a little obsessive, and I recalled that our county library has a 3-D printer you can use at no cost other than the material; that's where I saw the prices. So, yeah, it'd cost a lot. Worse, they only let you use the machine for 3 hours at a session, so I wouldn't be able to make this thing at all unless I bought my own printer--not gonna happen.

I'll look around; somebody might be--or at least should be--fabbing these parts by a cheaper method. Injection molding would work, though I think some aspects of the design would need to be changed to do that. And dies are really expensive, but once you've got those you can crank out millions of copies and sell 'em cheap.

EDIT TO ADD:

I just looked, and ... there are lots of cheap dragons, but they're mostly wingless and have crappy details--and they're ALL printed--no doubt because the joints are all ball-and-socket.

I've wanted to get in to 3D printing, but I'm not terribly sure what I'd use it for to any appreciable scale.

It is interesting to me though.