• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a question on sexual pheromones

I know that a pheromone is a chemical thing that triggers a social behavior within a species in specific. As far as I know in summary the female in some species produce a sexual pheromone that triggers the sexual behavior of the males.

I wonder if these sexual pheromones are really that unique and distinguished between different species. Is there any species whose sexual pheromones match the ones of other species leading to interspecies copulation out of it? I know interspecies copulation in animals is relatively common since their "sexual orientation" isn't as socialized as the human's, but I wonder if such act can be triggered from accidentally matching interspecies sexual pheromones.

Behavior in general is far more complex than that.       Pheromones are primarily a long distance messenger.      They draw aroused males in but do not guarantee sex.        Body posture, tail position, vulva movement, colors, and vocalizations all go into foreplay and consent between animals.

A naked vulva (tail held high or to one side) is a common signal among mammals and will excite most males regardless of species.     An open vulva with contrasting colors is also common.

I know of no research on the pheromones themselves but I do know that closely related species will respond and breed (Liger, Mule).      And you might look into "Premarin" for the compatibility of hormones across species.

Quote:
11 hours ago, Ara said:

accidentally matching interspecies sexual pheromone

I'm nowhere close to being an expert on the matter, but it is my understanding that there's not a lot of overlap in regard to pheromones; they tend to be pretty species specific otherwise they become far less effective. For example, a dog who's pheromones draw in cats and bears wont be nearly as successful as as a dog who's pheromones draw in only dogs and perhaps very close relatives who's chemical signals haven't diverged much.

Given, some evolve compatability with pheromones or other signaling for different reasons, such as with the lightning bugs Photinus and Photuris; where Photuris females mimic Photinus signals to lure in males which they eat (and absord a toxin from, thereby becoming toxic themselves).

This will be a little off topic but I always had this question too, and what I read so far didn't really convince me. How do you think these things work in our species? Because I've never seen any hint of it working. All attraction I see in humans is visual. I don't recall any situation of me getting horny or preferring one female over others for a non-visual reason. I have my visual preferences and the more one matches them, the more appealing I will find them, and there has never been an exception that made me wonder if it's because of pheromones or not. Maybe I'm missunderstanding how pheromones exactly work, but I just don't see anything like that working from what I understand of it. I once heard it stopped being a strong thing in humans since the moment we adopted the custom of taking showers/baths consistently, which gets rid of the smell of such pheromones. What do you think about it?

Quote:
48 minutes ago, Ara said:

This will be a little off topic but I always had this question too, and what I read so far didn't really convince me. How do you think these things work in our species? Because I've never seen any hint of it working. All attraction I see in humans is visual. I don't recall any situation of me getting horny or preferring one female over others for a non-visual reason. I have my visual preferences and the more one matches them, the more appealing I will find them, and there has never been an exception that made me wonder if it's because of pheromones or not. Maybe I'm missunderstanding how pheromones exactly work, but I just don't see anything like that working from what I understand of it. I once heard it stopped being a strong thing in humans since the moment we adopted the custom of taking showers/baths consistently, which gets rid of the smell of such pheromones. What do you think about it?

Scent is involved in attraction, definitely.  Boys would inhale deeply around girls and smile, making exaggerated lovey-dovey "ahhh..." expressions.  Girls similarly found the scent of guys attractive, particularly after they have exercised.

Whether or not that effect in humans is due to pheromones is another story.  In animals, pheromones are scents that an animal cannot conscientiously identify as a smell, but trigger sensations in the brain related to sexual attraction. In humans, that short-circuit pathway is believed to be non-existent, and thus any chemicals that trigger sexual feelings are the result of perceptible scents that are linked to the object of attraction.

Pheromones are species specific, it would be really difficult to mimic a sexual pheromone, if not impossible.. plus not to mention the fact that pheromones in most species diminish after a certain amount of time and become less effective..

Most interspecies mating happens not because of pheromones, but just two animals realize they can get each other off, basically doing it for the opportunity to.. that's what I believe anyway..

It's a good theory, trying to match pheromones, but I don't see it being possible, unless you have a animal in esterus, then you could take real pheromones and preserve them in a freezer, to use later..

But in all reality, most animals will mount you without pheromones if you present yourself to them, and know how to get them in the mood, each animal is different, you just gotta explore what gets them sexually excited..

Just for the record, this topic isn't about me. It's not like I'm trying to simulate pheromones or to be mounted (I'm only straight) or anything. It's just mere curiosity. My curiosity about this started when I saw how male dogs get so highly excited when smelling female dog's (in heat) urine, and the response is so high that I wondered if something similar could happen if they smelled other species female's (in heat too) urine. If they also got excited by that, I'd say it's just an evolutionary accident/coincidence, but I wondered if it even happened to begin with. I know interspecies sex in animals happen because of other simple things but I also wondered if that was at least part of that reason (it seems not).

I  underrstand what you mean Ara; a question doesn't have to be of utility to be of interest beyond just the curiosity of knowing.

I know you're secretly brewing batches of pheromones under your bathroom sink, don't try to hide it!  [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I'm not entirely convinced that there's much, if any, intraspecific pheromones in humans; nothing I've read thus far has been decidely conclusive, so I remain open but skeptical.

Our male dog will go off his food for days if he gets even a whiff of a bitch in heat, poor lovesick fella.

Hunters that also have dogs can tell you that doe, and sow in heat scents do not effect dogs

Humans do have pheromone responses; they're just of a sort that we aren't conscious of. A famous example is that of women's dorms at college: all the women's reproductive cycles go into synchronization.