• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First of 2022! Greetings fellow fellows

-redacted-

(update)

Sorry, my inner circle gets very upset if I speak of things that may imply anything or could be connected back to anyone, even myself... So I must be very careful with what I say... However, I'm working up a new idea for another story that wouldn't point to anything remotely related to me or anyone in my circle. 

Welcome!

If this helps, most of my training in creative writing came from reading, and thinking about what I liked in other writers' stories.

There's a lot of free advice for new writers, but some of it isn't worth much. There's a conundrum about all of it: if you don't already have some experience, you can't judge the value of that advice.

One of the things I look for is consistency. Characters have to stay in character and not say or do things you wouldn't expect of them, and the fictional universe needs to behave consistently.

Being inconsistent is bad because it pulls the reader out of the story. Ultimately, the writing should draw no attention to itself; the reader should get immersed in the story.

Also, to keep the reader's attention, you need to give them a reason to care what happens to the characters; this commonly takes the form of conflict. An example might be that your main character needs to get to the other side of the valley in time to deliver some food or medicine to keep his family alive, but a flood has overrun the bridge, or he's being chased by thieves, or maybe both.

Anyway, most importantly, just start, and keep going. You won't be good at first--no one is--but keep at it.

Try something, post it here, and someone should comment.

Quote:
11 hours ago, threelegs said:

Welcome!

~ snipped for brevity~

Anyway, most importantly, just start, and keep going. You won't be good at first--no one is--but keep at it.

Try something, post it here, and someone should comment.

What the Tripod said... and said very well!

Welcome. 

Well Howdy!

and then it died...the thread i mean...welcome and hello...kinda snoozy around here...

Quote:
1 hour ago, shortleash said:

and then it died...the thread i mean...welcome and hello...kinda snoozy around here...

Whole thing beyond odd-- 

Well, I hope he comes back with something else.