• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you involved in an animal profession/serious hobby?

Yes, I work with sled dogs. 

UKC is the other big kennel club here in the States, not as big in numbers but they recognize more breeds.  UKC is generally quicker to recognize newer breeds (American Bullies and Silken Windhounds are two I follow somewhat) and more working-type breeds that AKC doesn't such as a lot of our American hound breeds, Feists, Jack Russell, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bulldog...  Breeds that are definitely established but not recognized by AKC; usually working type breed clubs don't push for AKC registration to preserve their working dogs.  Like how for a long time Jack Russell breeders in the UK didn't want them recognized by The Kennel Club since confo shows tend to breed away from the working nature of the dogs to a more "watered down" temperament and more exaggerated physical type in the ring.  Same thing over here with UKC.  The UKC shows I go to locally always have a lot of Catahoula Leopard Dogs and one of the major breeders who brings hers works all of them on her ranch.  They're intense hunting and cow dogs who work every day still doing what they were originally bred to do, and still place very high in the UKC ring!  If your breed is also recognized by AKC you can dual register with both clubs and compete in shows/sports/events in both.

100% agree about the English Bulldogs, it's very sad because I've met quite a few English and French Bulldogs and they have such nice temperaments.  I love the temperament of Frenchies especially, they're such clowns and fun little dogs, but have such trouble breathing they can't run and play as much as they want to.  I follow a few breeders who are working on improving those Bulldogs, breeding for longer muzzles/shorter soft palates, open nostrils, and natural breeding/whelping.  I don't think we'll see any widespread change for the better though unless the standard itself is changed, since that awful structure is called for in the standard, which isn't likely to happen [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":(" width="20" />   There are some really cool "restoration Bulldog" projects that aim to breed back to a healthier version of the Bulldog that more resembles the original breed while still keeping Bulldog type.  My favorite is the Leavitt Bulldog.  Very active dogs who can breathe well and give birth naturally!

I think anyone who has dogs, not just zoos, can really benefit from learning basic dog structure as well.  So many common structural flaws can lead to health issues later in life.  I see turned out elbows and feet ALL the time on mixes or poorly bred dogs, and those can easily lead to arthritis.  Bad hips are really widespread too.  That's the main reason I'm getting a purebred dog really, showing is a bonus.  I'll be getting a dog from someone who health tests and screens the parents so my dog will have the best chance possible to live a long, healthy life.  I can't imagine buying a dog, ending up with the dog as my partner, and having to lose them due to a genetic illness.  So many people on zoo forums are paranoid about home and background checks from breeders which is understandable, we have reason to be paranoid, but I'm not too worried about it since I keep everything zoo-related private anyway.  Good breeders are so passionate about their dogs and want to make sure they go to a home that's the best fit possible, so I don't blame them at all.  It would be a red flag for me if a breeder was within reasonable distance and DIDN'T want to do a home check!

I'm a professional breeder. probably the only kuvasz breeder here in the bluegrass state.  genuine original working stock bloodline imported from Hungary.

or at least probably the only one that actively breeds Kuvaszok locally instead of just importing and selling.

Mostly work breeding and selling horses, occasionally at the ranch we take care of other horses, cows... and occasionally exotic quadrupeds like camels or zebras.

It's a pretty physically demanding job and pretty hard to do (both ways) since it's mostly early morning stuff and never ending job... So in summer we hire more hands and occasionally go out in weekends