• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepping

Like most prepping I do, it's on the low key side.

Buying things I normally get, but a few extras.

What really kicked this off for most folks, is when some guy, I think he was from the CDC, said to have three(3) months of food on hand.

Being a 'baby boomer' with parents that went through the depression, I have store rooms stuff with TP and paper towels anyways.

One thing I did get, was one of those "Mega-Maid Vacu-suck" storage system. You can vacuum pack everything from rice to ammo.

As for a mask? I'll just shoot anyone that gets closer then 10 feet to me. (Just kidding) [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ph34r.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":ph34r:" width="20" />

Quote:
47 minutes ago, Ramseys said:

Like most prepping I do, it's on the low key side.

Buying things I normally get, but a few extras.

What really kicked this off for most folks, is when some guy, I think he was from the CDC, said to have three(3) months of food on hand.

Being a 'baby boomer' with parents that went through the depression, I have store rooms stuff with TP and paper towels anyways.

One thing I did get, was one of those "Mega-Maid Vacu-suck" storage system. You can vacuum pack everything from rice to ammo.

As for a mask? I'll just shoot anyone that gets closer then 10 feet to me. (Just kidding) [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/ph34r.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":ph34r:" width="20" />

Yeah pretty much (except the Vacu-Suck, the reviews reported some of the packages not staying sealed).  Something I learned back in the day is to (carefully,
not
in a closed room!
)  displace the air out of pretty much anything from storage tanks and tool boxes to food-grade packages with CO (carbon monoxide).  Stops rust, spoilage and going rancid by scouring oxygen.  You need an old-school truck or some engine without a cat converter, and do it before the pipe gets hot.   You can also catch it in a garbage bag and take it where needed if dragging the tool locker to the source seems inconvenient.    (If you are concerned about it harming food, recall that an old and disreputable trick of the grocery industry is to expose out-of-date meat to CO to make it bright red and fresh-looking, then re-wrap it with a new expiration date.)

Bear in mind that this is also a suitable method of euthanasia for terminally ill or injured critters, so handle accordingly.     

I already buy hand sanitizer in the half-gallons; dead critters in traps or birthings gone horribly wrong ya'know.  And 95 masks by the box for working with fiberglas, paint, machine work and such.  I did lay in a pallet of dog food I didn't have before, and filled the freezers more than usual for this time of year (I usually don't count on having long-term electric service during a Zombie Apocalypse so usually depend more on non-refrigerated back-up supplies).  

I'm not a "people person" under the best of conditions, like to do my work without other people around, won't miss the contact, so yeah, lobbing metal of various sizes and velocities if it comes to that seems like a plan.  I can also do a pretty convincing coughing fit on demand with a bit of sneezing to finish it off, if the room needs thinning out.  

Nothing more than I do for anything else. I restocked recently on pretty much everything because of the fire. I hadn't lost a lot in the fire itself, but used some while living at the 'bug-out' cabin, and figured it a good time to do inventory so am ahead of the game now. Masks are the one thing I'm shy on. I don't like 'em, so don't wear 'em often. I have a respirator for painting and grinding and such that takes filters that are mask-like. I just bought 10,000. Doubt I'll use 'em. I have 3 gas masks. Doubt I'll use 'em. From what I understand this virus doesn't spread by breath anyway.

Meat I always have freezers full of, and can replenish easily. It's the other foodstuff you have to worry about. You can eat your neighbor remember, but without potatoes!?!?

I won't say what I have have in ammo. Coumo has spy's everywhere, probably even here. But I can out-shoot his National Guard...

As I've said before, I have my own power sources. The feeds were repaired after the fire and are all functioning now.

Folks coming close to me. I doubt this virus will ever be anything. The flu kills more folks worldwide than it does, where's the panic? But, if it spreads to my neck of the mountain folks will stay away thinking I am one who has it. Hard to tell an emphazemic hack from a coronaic hack after all. Those too dumb to will just disappear..

sw

At this point in time, many of the, "I'm not a prepper.." have  become, "I AM a prepper."

It's amazing what empty store shelves will do to motivate folks.

And they are going to stay empty for a long time, if ammo is anything to go by.

Ammo companies are pumping out product 24/7. So why aren't the shelves filling up?

People are buying it as fast as it hits the shelves!

Same thing will happen with food stocks. When they get your favorite can of soup back in, are you going to by one can? Fuck no! you're going to buy at least 12.

I started this topic back in March of 2019.

My how times have changed.

I hope folks have gotten, and will continue to get good info here.  

The more things change the more they stay the same...... 

My idea of prepping is to keep several extra boxes of granola bars in stock, along with a modest amount of canned goods. Shelf-stable stuff, since if the shit hits the fan I'll be without a fridge or freezer. I also have about a dozen gallon jugs of water. I figure that in any serious widespread catastrophe I'd be pretty fucked anyway. I do have good neighbors, though.