• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepping

My first hurricane was Carla, my last Harvey.   I sat both of them out in the same house.    There's been a double handful in between and I had family on Galveston Island in 1900.   So "prepping" is just "life" from my point of view.   

Quote:
5 hours ago, caikgoch said:

My first hurricane was Carla, my last Harvey.  

Then you must have plenty of advice and helpful into about being ready for such an event. 

Quote:
12 hours ago, Ramseys said:

Then you must have plenty of advice and helpful into about being ready for such an event. 

The absolute single most important thing I could tell anyone is don't buy land in an area named "Reservoir".    It really is "location, location, location."

"Today about 14,000 homes are located inside the reservoir basins. Many residents complained after Hurricane Harvey........ "     

Seriously?  Ya think?  

What can I say.  Evolution continues.

Quote:
On 3/27/2019 at 8:38 AM, caikgoch said:

The absolute single most important thing I could tell anyone is don't buy land in an area named "Reservoir".    It really is "location, location, location."

It is madness and they do it here too. There are specific areas of agricultural land which are listed as flood plains because...  well obviously they have a history of flooding. Yet some special folk decided it would be fine to build there and catastrophic flooding seems to feature more and more prominently in the news year on year.

If only there were some obvious sign that could have helped people avoid this [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="9_9" width="20" />

Quote:
13 hours ago, Thunder-Bay-Syd said:

It is madness and they do it here too. There are specific areas of agricultural land which are listed as flood plains because...  well obviously they have a history of flooding. Yet some special folk decided it would be fine to build there and catastrophic flooding seems to feature more and more prominently in the news year on year.

If only there were some obvious sign that could have helped people avoid this [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="9_9" width="20" />

In a few words ..."developers without scruples." I've seen housing developments go up in floodplains. This may have something to do with why flood insurance is not a standard feature of a homeowners' insurance policy, but has to be bought as a rider--at a very high premium. I also know the locations of at least two (very expensive) properties in floodplains; one of them is on stilts and the other can only be accessed via its own private suspension footbridge which crosses a river. Maybe they do all right, but I wouldn't want their mosquito problems.

Back to the topic ... rather than storing resources, find a way to become a producer of resources.

Me? I have one MRE in a back room, and a few cans of Sterno--and I'm thinking of wax-coating this box of strike-anywhere matches I snagged at the hardware store, just because I thought no one was making them anymore.

If it all falls down, color me gone.

Quote:
9 hours ago, threelegs said:

Back to the topic ... rather than storing resources, find a way to become a producer of resources.

Reading the responces, I see many of us (myself included) do both. 

I've been collecting those 'strike anywhere' matches for years. Not only are they handy as hell for fire-starters, the tips, when handled properly, make one hell of a detonator. For cutting rock and blasting fence post holes and such, ya know?...

sw

Quote:
On 3/29/2019 at 8:05 AM, silverwolf1 said:

Reading the responces, I see many of us (myself included) do both. 

I've been collecting those 'strike anywhere' matches for years. Not only are they handy as hell for fire-starters, the tips, when handled properly, make one hell of a detonator. For cutting rock and blasting fence post holes and such, ya know?...

sw

Funny you should mention that; it reminded me of something I used to do in the basement with my old Sheridan air rifle. I'd drop a match down the barrel and fire the length of the basement against the cement-block wall. The matches would make a little sort of explosion when they hit.

I also discovered that if you press the match-head straight against something hard, just pressing slowly with enough force would make it light, and it began glowing a little before it went up.

So.

What are we doing to prep for the Covid19? 

I see where sales of ammo have jumped 60% since it started spreading. 

You can't buy hand sanitizer or masks if you didn't keep them on hand before.

And, um, T.P. is flying off the shelves.  Wouldn't want to shelter in place without that....   

Quote:
2 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

So.

What are we doing to prep for the Covid19? 

I see where sales of ammo have jumped 60% since it started spreading. 

You can't buy hand sanitizer or masks if you didn't keep them on hand before.

And, um, T.P. is flying off the shelves.  Wouldn't want to shelter in place without that....   

Look up "zombie apocalypse", it's pretty much what that means but remember that we're a long way from pulling the trigger on it.   Right now it's 99% clickbait.