• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepping

Quote:
1 hour ago, Thunder-Bay-Syd said:

I think the most likely threat that I am likely to experience in my lifetimes is economic collapse. I wonder who else thinks that and if anyone else prepares for that by storing wealth in mediums other than fiat currency - gold, silver, etc.

Not unlikely, but no to storing "wealth".  Exception: I have some currency sniggled away in case the world banking system collapses and my bank account goes away (which would likely be the first to go).  But consider:  Now (during normal times) gold/etc. comes pretty dear.  Economic collapse; gold will have minimal value.  Who that has food, ammo, chainsaw, a running car, fuel, antibiotics, is going to trade it for heavy metal?  Unless you're making teeth or bullets, it has no use.  If someone does want to sell their goods, the rate of exchange is going to be about 500ml of gold for 500ml of penicillin.  You will pay thousands today for a little sliver of metal that won't be worth the $25 that a box of 9mm FMJ is worth when it is needed.  If you want a trade medium, go for what people will need.  MRE's, canned meat, livestock (that can live on the land you have, not that you have to buy feed for), medical supplies, cheap "trade" guns, ammo, bottle gas, wool blankets, plastic tarps, solid fuel tablets.  And I suppose liquor (although a drunk with a gun is always a good combination). 

Buy a good location too, which is today's bad location for the most part. Accessed with difficulty is easily defended, surrounded by swamp is also surrounded by natural medicinals (and more easily defended) etc. These are the best buys for the buck today yet will be the prime real estate then. In the UK I'd look to Wales. Look how long it took to conquer them before because of terrain. 

sw

Quote:
2 hours ago, silverwolf1 said:

I'd look to Wales. Look how long it took to conquer them

Never underestimate a sheep with a gun....... [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="xD" width="20" />

But yeah.  Back country, boonies, rough country, whatever you call it, it's your best bet for natural resources, and far and away your best bargain.  You can buy "unimproved" land and build what you really want for a good deal less than "improved" land with a shack you wouldn't make a pig live in.  I discovered this early on.

Quote:
2 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

Not unlikely, but no to storing "wealth".  Exception: I have some currency sniggled away in case the world banking system collapses and my bank account goes away (which would likely be the first to go).  But consider:  Now (during normal times) gold/etc. comes pretty dear.  Economic collapse; gold will have minimal value.  Who that has food, ammo, chainsaw, a running car, fuel, antibiotics, is going to trade it for heavy metal?  Unless you're making teeth or bullets, it has no use.  If someone does want to sell their goods, the rate of exchange is going to be about 500ml of gold for 500ml of penicillin.  You will pay thousands today for a little sliver of metal that won't be worth the $25 that a box of 9mm FMJ is worth when it is needed.  If you want a trade medium, go for what people will need.  MRE's, canned meat, livestock (that can live on the land you have, not that you have to buy feed for), medical supplies, cheap "trade" guns, ammo, bottle gas, wool blankets, plastic tarps, solid fuel tablets.  And I suppose liquor (although a drunk with a gun is always a good combination). 

It is a long term hedge. I have savings. I can keep those in fiat currency or I can keep them in something more tangible. In the even of financial collapse I agree 100% - most people will want the basics. That is where and why I am working towards the goal of self sustainability. If I can provide for my needs as well as the needs of my loved ones then we'll get through it all being well. Once on the other side though would I rather have now worthless bank notes or something that has been accepted as having real value for millennia the world over?

I also think you are looking at things the wrong way in terms of value. Gold and silver is worth more or less the same now as it was 100 years ago. What has changed is that inflation has caused the $ or £ or whatever fiat currency you want to pick to drop in value meaning you need more of it to buy the same. What I am discussing is currently happening in Venezuela. Hyper inflation has meant that goods have sky rocketed in price and the countries currency (Bolivar) has collapsed and become more or less worthless. If you save in fiat currency this is the risk you face. Venezuela will have to dig itself out by ditching its current currency and switching to a new system backed by something stable - very possibly gold.

Quote:
2 hours ago, silverwolf1 said:

Buy a good location too, which is today's bad location for the most part. Accessed with difficulty is easily defended, surrounded by swamp is also surrounded by natural medicinals (and more easily defended) etc. These are the best buys for the buck today yet will be the prime real estate then. In the UK I'd look to Wales. Look how long it took to conquer them before because of terrain. 

sw

Funny you should mention Wales as that is exactly where I am looking [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="xD" width="20" /> I've got a pretty comprehensive list of features I am looking for. Wales comes out on top because it is sparsely populated and as such property values currently offer more bang for the buck.

Quote:
8 minutes ago, Thunder-Bay-Syd said:

Funny you should mention Wales as that is exactly where I am looking [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/laugh.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="xD" width="20" /> I've got a pretty comprehensive list of features I am looking for. Wales comes out on top because it is sparsely populated and as such property values currently offer more bang for the buck.

Those beautiful Celtic hills, near as pretty as my ancestors own western Ireland crags for defense. Kinda like the aged mountains I live on now. I envy those in the Rockies out west of here some though...

sw

Quote:
8 hours ago, Thunder-Bay-Syd said:

My strategy in life so far has mostly been to acquire as many skills as possible to thrive as sustainably as possible with as few outside sources as possible.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, here.

Goods will only get one so far, until they run out. Skills last a lifetime.

Lyc

Quote:
5 hours ago, silverwolf1 said:

I envy those in the Rockies out west of here some though...

I looked at the Rockies some many years ago.

1) Everything with tree one on it is Gov't Take; you can lease but never own.  Property rights aren't yours, can go for timber or mining at any time.  I don't think you are allowed to drill a well; everyone we visited had a water tank.  You have to buy "water rights" to use natural water.  

2) The Chinook winds are truly ridiculous.  Think of on-and-off hurricane for months.  Got pinned to the corral fence by a mattress that caught the wind.  Sandblasted the finish off the passenger side of the car.

3)  I'm not a winter person.  Ever watch "Jeremiah Johnson" (Robert Redford I think, and the guy who was grandpa on "The Waltons")?  

Oh, and there's something called Kansas between here and there.  I became unconscious part way across.  If geography has a vacuum, that's it.  Tie the steering wheel down and put a brick on the gas pedal...... 

I've thought about "prepping," and truth be told if the world ever came to that, I'd probably take an overdose of sleeping pills and call it a plan.

Sorry I don't have more to offer.  Good luck and hope you never have to use your plans. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
15 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

I looked at the Rockies some many years ago.

1) Everything with tree one on it is Gov't Take; you can lease but never own.  Property rights aren't yours, can go for timber or mining at any time.  I don't think you are allowed to drill a well; everyone we visited had a water tank.  You have to buy "water rights" to use natural water.  

2) The Chinook winds are truly ridiculous.  Think of on-and-off hurricane for months.  Got pinned to the corral fence by a mattress that caught the wind.  Sandblasted the finish off the passenger side of the car.

3)  I'm not a winter person.  Ever watch "Jeremiah Johnson" (Robert Redford I think, and the guy who was grandpa on "The Waltons")?  

Oh, and there's something called Kansas between here and there.  I became unconscious part way across.  If geography has a vacuum, that's it.  Tie the steering wheel down and put a brick on the gas pedal...... 

I did say "some". LOL! As for "winter", I actually get it deeper here then there, and longer (I've researched it) on average so it would likely be the least bothersome factor. The passes were a bitch though long ago. Yer first two points do make me luckier though, at least I own my mountainside farm. I never tried to buy land there, just bummed around after the service. Kansas, I'ts worse on a bike, or was back in the day. 

sw