• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening

hobby, prepping all in one

Big gardens for lots of canning

Yes i plant a football field for the most part... i start planting and everyone around that drives by stops and drops off the extra stuff they didn't have room for so it just keeps getting added too... over a hundred tomato plants for juicing and canning, and any where from 50 to hundred or more pepper plants of all types depending on what gets dropped off for me.... i normaly plant just around 50 tomatoes and another 2 dozen peppers .. then the rest just sort shows up ... feed store lat weekend asked if i wanted some of the loose and broken bags of potatoes, sure throw them in the truck ...... HOLLY SHIT!!!! must have at least 200lbs of evey type of potato you can think of... reds yellows, whites, and half a busted and taped up 50lb bag of blues. Then in a big box was all sorts of busted bags of corn seed, dozens oft ypes of sweet corn and i even seen a 2lb bag of popcorn.

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/cool.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title="B|" width="20" /> got to love small town feed stores when the owner drives by my place and see's how much room i got

[Image: 5ccd93d424a57_0807140803-011.jpg.7aa630c...23ddeb.jpg][Image: 5ccd940ca0a39_0807140803-001.jpg.52469d7...a0d497.jpg]

This is awesome ! Well done!

I'll be up for vegetables this fall.. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I agree, well done! My own garden isn't quite as big, but comes close. I'll wager my orchard (NY apples ya know) and berry bushes have you beat though, lol! Of course I cheat, I have a girl from FFA helping me [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

sw

one apple tree  i got for fruit and tons of black berry bushes now in bloom ... gota fight the stupid Japanese beetles and the chiggers for the berries

4 big blue berry bushes got probably 15 gals off of last year

I do however have several hickory trees in the front yard if you wanna sledge them open they can't be beat .. and a black walnut ...

persimmon on the hill behind the house, Even got huckle berries which is basically a wild blue berry growing on the hill behind the house to help fatten the deer along with several types of oak the deer like.

Anyone ever have a problem (or a solution)  to rogue squirrels eating jack o'lanterns and pumpkins?

Quote:
20 hours ago, HeartBeatOfTheBeast said:

Anyone ever have a problem (or a solution)  to rogue squirrels 

1)  Great Danes.

2)  Box traps baited with sunflower seed.

3)  Split plastic buckets and put them around fruit tree trunks about 3 feet from the ground.  

4)  Remove overhanging branches from surrounding trees.

Quote:
On 5/5/2019 at 7:35 PM, arcticwolf said:

gotta fight the stupid Japanese beetles

I've pretty much wiped them out over here.  Those hanging traps with the pheromone bait discs work really well but take serious maintenance.  I had to empty them twice a day the first year (into a bucket with soapy water and spray a couple seconds of Black Flag into the bucket each time before slamming on the lid).  Take them down when expecting rain.  Hose out the bags after emptying every so often.  I emptied many many buckets of them on the driveway, so many they smelled like a rotting corpse.  

Since the pheromone is a sex lure, it breaks their reproduction cycle.  Next year you have only a few.  Year later only 1 or 2 show up in the stock water tank.  Wish they made them for junebugs....... 

Quote:
On 5/5/2019 at 6:12 AM, silverwolf1 said:

Of course I cheat, I have a girl from FFA helping me

THERE's the thing!

How the bloody hell does a guy put up over a hundred tomato plants of tomatoes without a canning plant and a dozen seasonal workers?

Looks good

There was a raspberry bush in my backyard but my dad pulled it up thinking it was a weed[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

Quote:
11 hours ago, HeartBeatOfTheBeast said:

There was a raspberry bush in my backyard but my dad pulled it up thinking it was a weed[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/sad.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":(" width="20" />

"We" (meaning "not me") have had so damn many round-up related "accidents" here with desirable plantings that I have hidden the round-up in the barn and replaced it with a round-up jug with weak tea as a decoy.

Relatives.  What ya' gonna do?