• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs, real vs artificial

I found this website today and clicked on this article ... fascinating argument.

http://nautil.us/issue/72/quandary/only-...al-dogs-rp

It is indeed an interesting article. I'd note though that in my travels I've seen great variation in "street" dogs in the small indigenous villages and out of the way places, though none really looked like established breeds. I'd remind you their example was in a civilized Mexican village where in-breeding could occur. There were some similarities, but I'm not sure if they were enough to hang all their conclusions on. I agree that most purebred standards today reflect nothing of the Dog as natural selection would have it, however I believe natural selection to be different based on the location on the planet and that is an assumption they are going against. I also believe the Dog to have evolved not in one area originally, but in many, which would also poke holes in their thesis. I have other points, but these two will do for now.

sw

I've recently been reading a book that has some relevant material:

Domesticated, by Richard C. Francis

His whole second chapter is about dogs, and he even has a specific sub-chapter about village dogs. He talks about landraces, geographically isolated populations that took on distinct characteristics suiting them to their environments. He also mentions that village dogs domesticated themselves, though not fully, and that to this day in many places around the world, they're looked on by humans as a food source.

Good stuff; check it out.

You might also try "The Hidden Life of Dogs", E.M. Thomas.

Kind of a "crazy cat lady" of dogs (not a true hoarder), a lot of observations, social structure, behavior, etc. 

Okay, update on Domesticated, by Richard C. Francis--

the guy is slapdash about his science. Early in the third chapter (Cats), he claimed that dogs are plantigrade. After that, I can't trust anything else he says. The book is now in the recycling bin.

Quote:
14 hours ago, threelegs said:

Okay, update on Domesticated, by Richard C. Francis--

the guy is slapdash about his science. Early in the third chapter (Cats), he claimed that dogs are plantigrade. After that, I can't trust anything else he says. The book is now in the recycling bin.

Saves me picking it up...

sw

Quote:
16 hours ago, threelegs said:

he claimed that dogs are plantigrade

! ! !  

Clearly proofreading is dead.  I have long suspected as much; if it passes Spellcheck it must be good......