• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browsing Security

Hi all,

In the interest of keeping our private lives private, I thought I would add this little gem I found for Chrome. Its an extension called 'Hush' and it stores all your more delicate bookmarks hidden behind a password and opens them in a Incognito window. No, not total security,  remember Incognito is not flawless, far from it, hence why I run a VPN and use Tor Browser for the forums, however, IMHO, this is a good tool.  You don't need to subscribe or pay, that is only for premium features.

https:// hushbookmarks .com

Hope this is of use to some folks !

Oregon

Definitely helpful for someone with multiple users on one PC or for someone who has their PC in more open places for sure.

Something to note though: A VPN + Tor combo isn't really all that helpful. Tor's circuit relays change every few minutes, and a VPN will only protect you on the entrance node. HTTPS Everywhere is a very good chrome extension. Along with Nano Adblock, and Nano Defender.. Remember that most 'tracking' is done via Ad cookies that store things like session IDs, last visited, etc.. I make sure my connection here is encrypted via HTTPS and often close the window after viewing this forum to reset my session ID and referrer list.

The VPN/Tor combo is more of a force of habit, I was using a VPN long before I saw Tor.  I do use HTTPS Everywhere too. I don't however use Nano Adblock or Defender....thanks for those!

Thanks for the tips !

Epic protects your privacy more than ever

<hr style="border-bottom-color:rgba(255,255,255,.2);border-bottom-style:solid;border-top-color:rgba(0,0,0,.2);border-top-style:solid;border-width:1px 0px;color:#808080;font-size:12px;" />
Incognito and other private browsing modes don't protect you. Your browsing history is still stored on your computer and tracked by Google, your ISP, your government, and hundreds of data collectors.

<hr style="border-bottom-color:rgba(255,255,255,.2);border-bottom-style:solid;border-top-color:rgba(0,0,0,.2);border-top-style:solid;border-width:1px 0px;color:#808080;font-size:12px;" />
Integrated Video Downloading is now built into Epic :-)

Try Epic Browser.  It has built-in VPN, encryption, proxy, hides your location and content, looks to the other party like you're using Chrome from your choice of server farms in US and foreign countries.  And oh yeah, it's free, stupid easy to use, faster than Firefox, and works fine with outfits that have a shit-hissy-fit if you look like you're moving around (like TOR does) because your location looks like it stays the same, unless you select another proxy location.  So Yahoo, Google, Youtube, don't make you verify your account when you log on.  And it doesn't interfere with using other encrypted services like protonmail.com

Quote:
2 hours ago, Oregon said:

The VPN/Tor combo is more of a force of habit, I was using a VPN long before I saw Tor.  I do use HTTPS Everywhere too. I don't however use Nano Adblock or Defender....thanks for those!

Thanks for the tips !

Any time. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> I've done tech a LOT of years, since I was thirteen.. So I've picked up a thing or two along the way. If anyone is curious about security or even using something like PGP, let me know.

For me on Linux as well, I use Tor and just proxy other programs towards it. It runs as a SOCKS socket in the background locally.

Quote:
12 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

Try Epic Browser. 

Thanks, Ill take a look.

Quote:
On 9/1/2019 at 10:26 PM, heavyhorse said:

Epic protects your privacy more than ever

Incognito and other private browsing modes don't protect you. Your browsing history is still stored on your computer and tracked by Google, your ISP, your government, and hundreds of data collectors.

Integrated Video Downloading is now built into Epic :-)

Try Epic Browser.  It has built-in VPN, encryption, proxy, hides your location and content, looks to the other party like you're using Chrome from your choice of server farms in US and foreign countries.  And oh yeah, it's free, stupid easy to use, faster than Firefox, and works fine with outfits that have a shit-hissy-fit if you look like you're moving around (like TOR does) because your location looks like it stays the same, unless you select another proxy location.  So Yahoo, Google, Youtube, don't make you verify your account when you log on.  And it doesn't interfere with using other encrypted services like protonmail.com

I wouldn't trust browsers that offer a free vpn, but maybe that's just me. In my opinion it's better to use something like this + a VPN and tor.

I don't store my passwords in ANY electronic format.

Quote:
8 hours ago, x86 said:

I wouldn't trust browsers that offer a free vpn, but maybe that's just me. In my opinion it's better to use something like this + a VPN and tor.

Seriously?  You trust anything Google?

Actually there's a benefit to using a public VPN.  You disappear in the crowd.  One of a million disembodied users.  Go ahead, just try and figure out which data stream is which... 

Quote:
6 hours ago, threelegs said:

I don't store my passwords in ANY electronic format.

This.  Exactly.  Sure you have bookmarks and a password manager.  And the first thing they do if you need service is ask for your password.  And recover stuff.

It's really so hard to remember zoowg.net?  protonmail.com?  etc.?  Make up a dozen character sequence that means something that you can remember, with a variation that's part of each site so it's never the same.   

And not to get too morbid, but if (well, when) you bite the big one, you save your relatives from finding out stuff, and save your contacts from falling into the wrong hands.  Do everyone a favor when you go....  

Quote:
19 minutes ago, heavyhorse said:

Seriously?  You trust anything Google?

Actually there's a benefit to using a public VPN.  You disappear in the crowd.  One of a million disembodied users.  Go ahead, just try and figure out which data stream is which...

No no, I'm not talking about all public VPN's I'm just talking about ones that give you the service for free. Though I'm not really sure what they could do with it, there's probably some way they could sell it or something. So if you're paying for it you can be a bit more assured that they are not doing anything shady with your data.