• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New form of cognizents test for canines (and other species), the STSR.

From phys.org, a new study showing canine self-awareness using scents. This test proves that canines can recognize their own, as well as others' scent that proves they are aware of self and surrounding.

This is a contra to the popular 'mirror test' for self-recognition, mirror tests depend on reaction and eyesight only.

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-stsr-dogs-...eness.html

Personally I think it's a bit of a reach to conclude that recognizing their own smell proves self-awareness; by that measure most life forms with olfactory would qualify (is a snake self-aware because it doesn't bite it's own coils, i.e. recognizes it's own smell?).

But OK, go with it.... 

Hey, that's just the research that's been put forth. I will say too, Reptilian brains are a bit different then mammalian brains.. As far as canines go: it makes sense too, scent is their primary sense.

Quote:
1 hour ago, heavyhorse said:

a snake self-aware because it doesn't bite it's own coils, i.e. recognizes it's own smell?

Yes?

What's interesting to me here ( because my brain is whacked beyond understanding ) is that humans DON"T recognize their own scent. I can't, though I can identify my own horses and could identify many of the dogs I've owned that way. Even with training your olfactory senses, it's impossible. 

On the subject though, does it prove self-awareness? I don't think so. All it proves is an evolutionary trait to not confuse your own trail with that of the prey you are following.

sw

Quote:
56 minutes ago, silverwolf1 said:

What's interesting to me here ( because my brain is whacked beyond understanding ) is that humans DON"T recognize their own scent. I can't, though I can identify my own horses and could identify many of the dogs I've owned that way. Even with training your olfactory senses, it's impossible. 

On the subject though, does it prove self-awareness? I don't think so. All it proves is an evolutionary trait to not confuse your own trail with that of the prey you are following.

sw

I'm going with this.

And note that I am not saying that dogs can't be self aware.  Or that scent isn't their main sense.  Just that the study doesn't support that conclusion.  Pretty much every species of creature that has olfactory that (let's admit it) hasn't been crapified by eons of smoke from various sources and a nose so small it limits exertion, can recognize it's own odor or if some intruder has entered it's den, left a pile, marked territory, bred a mate, or eaten there.  Recognizing their own odor just doesn't get to "self aware".  

Quote:
9 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

Personally I think it's a bit of a reach to conclude that recognizing their own smell proves self-awareness; by that measure most life forms with olfactory would qualify (is a snake self-aware because it doesn't bite it's own coils, i.e. recognizes it's own smell?).

But OK, go with it.... 

Stressed snakes are notorious for eating their own tail.

Quote:
3 hours ago, caikgoch said:

Stressed snakes are notorious for eating their own tail.

OK, this is so far out there that I had to google it to see if maybe you were using funny cigarettes.....?

Honest-- They do!   

And the Darwin Award for 2019 goes to..... 

Quote:
5 hours ago, silverwolf1 said:

Interesting, see I can recognize my own scent.. Though my lack of eyesight may play in to a stronger sense of smell as with my hearing..

Quote:
5 hours ago, silverwolf1 said:

One thing I think is important to keep in mind here: this is showing self-awareness as we know it.. I'm of the stride that most all mammals possess self-awareness and a sense of imagining, a sense of self as well. Truth be told we can't say with 1000% certainty either: we don't have things like perspectives, internal stratemaps, etc.. for canines that can give context clues.

Quote:
4 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

And note that I am not saying that dogs can't be self aware.  Or that scent isn't their main sense.  Just that the study doesn't support that conclusion.  Pretty much every species of creature that has olfactory that (let's admit it) hasn't been crapified by eons of smoke from various sources and a nose so small it limits exertion, can recognize it's own odor or if some intruder has entered it's den, left a pile, marked territory, bred a mate, or eaten there.  Recognizing their own odor just doesn't get to "self aware".  

Wouldn't said actions prove self-awareness though? Think about it, you'd have to have a sense of self and of imagining to have context for those things correct? Unless at the very baser, or smaller end (most insects, some reptiles), you *need* a sense of self to survive, especially as a social mammal species.

I'd like to point out too: that's just an article citing the study: I don't have the fully study paper, but will post it if I can get it.

If you can define "self aware" as realizing they aren't the intruder, or not eating their own feet, maybe so.  But conscious realization of self when they sniff someone else's poop?  Doesn't seem like it.  

But yeah, it's a published document.  Thanks!  No harm no foul.  We just agree to disagree.