• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guests

I see "Guests online" pretty often (bottom of home page).  (I'm not talking about old posts from past members who've had their accounts deleted.) 

Since most of us have to log in to see the forum, how does this happen?  Are these "Admin" who haven't logged in, or actual total strangers?   

Good point......would be interesting to know.

Quote:
6 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

I see "Guests online" pretty often (bottom of home page).  (I'm not talking about old posts from past members who've had their accounts deleted.) 

Since most of us have to log in to see the forum, how does this happen?  Are these "Admin" who haven't logged in, or actual total strangers?  

Actually curious about this myself (and no, I'm not dead, just been very inactive due to life [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/tongue.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":P" width="20" /> ). I've seen those 'guests' before, and an unsure how they could even view the forum. Like HH says, I even have to log in just to view.

Of course, I stay logged in anyways.

First, if you'll look at the guests' activity, it shows "logging in" so they aren't viewing anything yet.

Second, I'll bet good money that a lot of them are bots.

Quote:
27 minutes ago, caikgoch said:

First, if you'll look at the guests' activity, it shows "logging in" so they aren't viewing anything yet.

Second, I'll bet good money that a lot of them are bots.

Good points, especially on the second one.

A lot of them are likely bots.

Folks viewing that the forum is here will show as guests, folks registering will, but the number of "guests" that show is higher than the number of really interested folks. Many are probably bots. The one to ask is doge1. When I come here my log-in is automatic. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/profile/19-doge1/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="19" href="<___base_url___>/profile/19-doge1/">@doge1</a> owns the server though, so would be working on it and on the forums software in the background. That would only account for one Admin loggin in, and he is the only other Admin since Jed left. I personally think the "guest" indicators are bad guys (robot spammers) being stopped at the gates.

sw

So kind of a nuisance, but not the kind of "activities" detected on "other prominent site(s)".

That's reassuring from both ethical and legal-collateral-damage perspectives.

Thanks.  

Quote:
18 hours ago, silverwolf1 said:

Folks viewing that the forum is here will show as guests, folks registering will, but the number of "guests" that show is higher than the number of really interested folks. Many are probably bots. The one to ask is doge1. When I come here my log-in is automatic. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/profile/19-doge1/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="19" href="<___base_url___>/profile/19-doge1/">@doge1</a> owns the server though, so would be working on it and on the forums software in the background. That would only account for one Admin loggin in, and he is the only other Admin since Jed left. I personally think the "guest" indicators are bad guys (robot spammers) being stopped at the gates.

sw

With most of what silverwolf1 mentioned.  Mostly search index bots, or just visitors coming to start logging in or signing up. They can't see anything on the forums at all unless they're signed in. The site goes through another provider then goes to my server. This is so better security and protection from attackers is much more improved. It wasn't like this with the old domain. Which no one had access to after Jed left.  Some however do seem to be bots that are signing up. But they end up stopped half way through to do anything. 

so have we got corona virus here yet or is it just in the real world...

Quote:
12 hours ago, shortleash said:

so have we got corona virus here yet or is it just in the real world...

Depends.  Have you cleaned your phone with alcohol or Clorox yet?

Apple: Worried about coronavirus? You can now clean your iPhone with alcohol and Clorox disinfecting wipes

<div>
<div>
<div>
Jessica Guynn, USA TODAY

</div>
</div>
</div>