• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
birthing videos

Anybody here interested in videos of animals giving birth? I've got a few; just let me know where to put them if there's any interest.

Animal Health forum, in the appropriate sub-forums.

sw

I've assisted horses, cows, sheep, goats, cats, dogs, pigs.  (Never humans, thank God).  Been up to my shoulder in critter backside plenty of times (which of course only happens when something goes worng.)  I think it's a lot like watching sausage being made.  There's nothing cuter in the world than baby pygmy goats, but watching the clusterfrack organic matter explosion that is the mammal birth process may put you off permanently.  And just be glad this site doesn't support Smell-O-Vision..... 

Quote:
On 7/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, heavyhorse said:

I've assisted horses, cows, sheep, goats, cats, dogs, pigs

Same, except cats & pigs. I have helped Humans into the world too. No better than the rest, kinda worse in fact. Women are drama queens about it.

Quote:
On 7/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, heavyhorse said:

And just be glad this site doesn't support Smell-O-Vision..... 

Ain't that the truth!

sw

Quote:
1 hour ago, silverwolf1 said:

Women are drama queens about it.

Ain't THAT the truth!  

I'm pretty sure it hurts other critters that have 1 or 2 good size babies, especially if you have to pull or stick your hands in to re-position.  But you don't hear THEM screaming about it.

I bet if women had to worry about lions, tigers and bears tearing them into bite-size chunks, they would manage to stifle the drama.

Apologies to the PC Police about that...... 

Quote:
On 7/3/2020 at 11:26 AM, heavyhorse said:

Ain't THAT the truth!  

I'm pretty sure it hurts other critters that have 1 or 2 good size babies, especially if you have to pull or stick your hands in to re-position.  But you don't hear THEM screaming about it.

I bet if women had to worry about lions, tigers and bears tearing them into bite-size chunks, they would manage to stifle the drama.

Apologies to the PC Police about that...... 

I think (I may be wrong) that humans don't have gravity working for them, in the same way a mare does for example.

Quote:
2 hours ago, HeartBeatOfTheBeast said:

I think (I may be wrong) that humans don't have gravity working for them, in the same way a mare does for example.

A mare's cervix is at the top of her uterus so horse babies travel up to be born.

I'm going with gravity not being much of a consideration.  If you ever have your arm inside a critter during contractions you will notice a great deal more force bearing down than gravity.  I'm pretty sure that would be how you get a camel to go through the eye of a needle..... 

Of domestic animals, most give birth lying down, cows being the exception, they sometimes do it standing.

On the subject of assisted birth, just in case you get stuck with an emergency, a few points:

1)  NEVER pull a foal with chains, straps, anything other than your hands, other species as well, cows being the only exception.   

2)  Don't pull straight back.  Pull down, toward the mother's hocks, that's the direction of the birth canal.

3)  Normal birth is "diving" position:  front legs extended forward with the nose in between.  The bottoms of the feet down toward the mother's hocks.  If you don't see that DON'T PULL.  The position has to be corrected; get assistance.  Bottoms of feet facing up is breech, assistance strongly recommended, slow delivery results in suffocation.  These are one of those "Don't try This at Home!  We are Trained Professionals!" situations.  But sometimes the animals don't listen to advice. 

Which I realize is off topic to where to post videos.  But someone watching videos or Dr Pol should know some basics before thinking of wading in if/when they can't get a vet to respond....

<a class="ipsAttachLink" href="<___base_url___>/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=4095" data-fileid="4095">foal birth.mp4</a>

I had the one with sound, but can't find it.