• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Can anyone here recommend a good VPN provider?

I use Epic Browser.  From the other end it looks like you're using Chrome from some big city so sites don't have a cow like they sometimes do with TOR, servers in your choice of cities around the world.  Encrypted from your end so your ISP can't see your traffic.  (I prefer a public VPN so your traffic gets lost among a million other people.  A VPN from a private server is kind of obvious......)   I think it's faster than some of the other browsers, probably because it isn't trying to load a bunch of crap through my tiny keyhole 0.5Mbps connection speed.  

It has that irritating Chrome "Allow notifications Y/N" tab at the beginning of each session.  I just click NO and go on.  

Oh yes, it's free.    

www.epicbrowser (dot) com/privacy/intro.html

I use a legacy version because you don't have to remember to turn on the proxy/VPN each time.    225 Mb.

I'm using a desktop version.  Here's their blurb about mobile:

Woot! Epic for iOS is in the App Store!

<hr style="border-bottom-color:rgba(255,255,255,.2);border-bottom-style:solid;border-top-color:rgba(0,0,0,.2);border-top-style:solid;border-width:1px 0px;color:#808080;font-size:12px;" />
Epic for iOS has the same features you've enjoyed in Epic for desktop including an easily-enabled, free, unlimited VPN/proxy for the browser and AdBlock. Epic for iOS is in an always-on private browsing mode and includes fingerprinting and other privacy protections. Epic for iOS includes mobile-only features such as our Audio Queue that can read a set of webpages to you, text/reader mode and an encrypted file vault. It’s free with no in-app purchases.<span> 

iPhone and iPad users, please give Epic for iOS a spin. We think you’ll love it! 

Remember, some core Epic functionality such as our Encrypted Proxy/VPN is now user-controlled. Add them via the blue link on the Epic new tab page.</span>

<hr style="border-bottom-color:rgba(255,255,255,.2);border-bottom-style:solid;border-top-color:rgba(0,0,0,.2);border-top-style:solid;border-width:1px 0px;" />
Android Users: Epic for Android is available in the Play Store. We think you'll love it too.

Quote:
17 hours ago, HeartBeatOfTheBeast said:

Can anyone here recommend a good VPN provider?

I don't use a VPN, but most of my work with anything 'Zoo Related' is done over HTTP, so I encrypt using HTTPS Everywhere, I also do some work over Keybase or Discord, so it's really not an issue / no need to have a VPN for me.

Now, if the CONTENT is even illegal in your state (there's only one, Oregon...) then you could try Private Internet Access (PIA), they are quite good.

Torguard has excellent support for several Linux distros.   Last time I used PIA I had to set it up manually.   That can make a big difference if you want to build a secure system without a lot of technical education.

Quote:
8 hours ago, caikgoch said:

Torguard has excellent support for several Linux distros.   Last time I used PIA I had to set it up manually.   That can make a big difference if you want to build a secure system without a lot of technical education.

That's a good point. One thing though, TOR tends to have atrocious speeds due to the constant node switching.

Quote:
4 hours ago, WinterGreenWolf said:

That's a good point. One thing though, TOR tends to have atrocious speeds due to the constant node switching.

Also because TOR always comes from different nodes (sometimes in Russia) there are many sites that block you.  Or watch you.

(TOR = Dark Web in many eyes)

Quote:
13 hours ago, WinterGreenWolf said:

"Torguard" is short for "torrent guardian", a paid vpn designed for fast secure downloading.   They also offer private e-mail and other security oriented services.

PIA - Private Internet Access....simple easy and sensibly priced.

AirVPN has been my goto for anything legally ambiguous for some time.

I like to pirate my wifi coupled with a VPN and use burner yandex emails. Which suck when you need to recover an account that is attached to that email and you can't login to the email.