• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horses butchered near Houston

https://abc13.com/horses-found-killed-an...d/6364197/

And they call us cruel.

Given that it's happened at least 5 times in a short period of time, it's obviously not someone starving, it's a commercial operation.  Apparently serving a specific (ethnic?) market for horsemeat, since no one has mentioned anything similar with cows (and I'm pretty sure they have cows in Texas....).   

As we see so often the article ends with "If someone wants to solve the case for us, please call the police, because we really aren't doing it".  

I'm not real sure I'd call the police.  

"Just give me a reason.  Any reason.  It doesn't even have to be a particularly good one."  

I'm betting on a food truck.

And if it's my horse, that's plenty of reason.

Quote:
6 minutes ago, caikgoch said:

I'm betting on a food truck.

And if it's my horse, that's plenty of reason.

That makes sense.  

Quote:
12 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

Apparently serving a specific (ethnic?) market

It would not surprise me, seeing as you can buy horsemeat in grocery stores in some parts of Europe.

The first and only time I've ever had horsemeat served up was at the school cafeteria in grade school.  (Early '60's)

It has an unmistakable color and smell.

That did NOT go well.  You can not imagine how bad that did not go well....

Quote:
7 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

The first and only time I've ever had horsemeat served up was at the school cafeteria in grade school.  (Early '60's)

I can imagine given that I grew up in FFA (Future Farmers of America) land.   It would have been a full blown riot.

Quote:
18 hours ago, heavyhorse said:

I had it served to me in Germany. It is distinctive. They tried to pass it off as beef to a group of us. We wrecked the restaurant.

sw

Quote:
13 hours ago, caikgoch said:

I can imagine given that I grew up in FFA (Future Farmers of America) land.   It would have been a full blown riot.

It was a little town, upper hundreds population, the "Reorganized" school district served over 200 sq miles.  So overwhelmingly rural.  We had FFA and 4-H.  Pretty much everyone had a horse/pony or knew someone who did.

Those days there were 3 brands of dog food that I recall.  Purina dry in the checkerboard bag.  Strongheart canned, a sort of ground stew mystery horsemeat product.  And Ken-L-Ration, All meat, Real meat, USDA inspected red horsemeat.  

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="4102" href="https://zoowg.org/uploads/monthly_2020_08/5f3a78d4b133a_ScreenShot2020-08-16at3_55_47PM.png.9db09f6392295ffc2a3d3cac23e5d8e4.png">[Image: 5f3a78d4b133a_ScreenShot2020-08-16at3_55...e5d8e4.png]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="4103" href="https://zoowg.org/uploads/monthly_2020_08/5f3a798a2cfef_ScreenShot2020-08-16at3_48_54PM.png.dce209e97618de2fded15bcd040407b6.png">[Image: 5f3a798f78b5b_ScreenShot2020-08-16at3_48...a3b274.png]</a>

So pretty much anyone who owned a dog knew what horsemeat looked like and smelled like.  And these were little kids.  Pre-teen girls.  There was crying, wails, shrieks.  Piles of trays in the barrels and floor, uncleared tables, everyone crowded at the door trying to leave.  

There was an "assembly" that afternoon.  The principal yada yada behavior won't be tolerated yada yada yada good Gov't Surplus food yada yada.  After the kids got home there were phone calls.  The next day approximately 7 people ate the cafeteria food, everyone else brought sack lunches.<span>  This went on for some weeks.  </span>

<span>So yeah, about as close to a full blown riot as a bunch of little conservative mid-western country kids could manage.</span>

<span>And it never happened again, so I guess we made our point.</span>

<span>  </span>

Ken-L-Ration, the ONLY thing my Grandpa would feed his dogs..and he raised horses and loved 'em. None of ours went in those cans, they all got space in the horse 'cemetery' & a prayer read on 'em, but he'd feed horse-meat to his hounds without blinking..

sw