• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EXIF data, and getting rid of it

EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format) data is generated when you take a photo with your phone or camera (at least if they aren't jurassic, I assume). This info is then kept within the file itself, and can be viewed in basic or special programs. Said data may contain date, time, shutter speed, lens opening, model of the camera/phone, and geographic location of when and where the photo was taken. It applies to videos as well.

Of course, you should never take saucy media of your animals, especially if you are anywhere in the frame, or with a view outside your home. Even completely safe pics/videos of animals should not be going anywhere where you're also open about being zoo (or even friends with one) for the extra safety.

However, editing or getting rid of this metadata is a good privacy move in general, if you have any habit of sending photos into the web or just anywhere, really. Exiftool is free, turning off location services on iOS will keep apps (camera included) from tracking your geolocation, Windows lets you remove image properties right on the Details tab within Properties. Other programs include ImageOptim and EXIF Purge. You can also re-compress it.

Some social media (like Twitter) removed EXIF metadata automatically when you upload something to their site, but you're safer checking which sites and apps do this automatically. When in doubt, strip the file beforehand.

Yes, this goes for 'normie' accounts too!

Excellent Points AR! Sometimes the data is also incorrect, my microsoft words documents in view properties in my old computer, keep saying they were from some city in Colorado, despite me never even visiting that state.

For linux users this is how you use it for example to remove all exif data from all photos in Downloads folder:

exiftool -overwrite_original -all= ~/Downloads/*