• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emotional Support Animal

Just curious if anyone has a service animal, therapy animal, or e.s.a on here; it's commonly know that animals are therapeutic and help people alot with physical or mental disabilities or illnesses, my dog is a registered e.s.a, which entitles that he is required from my emotional well-being, under the fair housing act, landlords can not turn me down because I have a dog; they are required by law to allow it..

Having him with me helps alot with my depression and anxiety; along with letting me know if my blood sugar is dropping even if I may be unaware it is.. although our relationship is platonic and we are not lovers he still is an important part of my life; a dedicated companion..

One thing I wish is places would allow me to bring him along, because it would help curb this extreme anxiety I feel around people, but sadly he's not a service dog, no matter how much I wish he was, he's not properly trained to be one, and I'm not even sure if I would even be entitled to having a service dog..

Rags and Shadow were both trained Therapy dogs, as was Tippy before them. They went with me to Childrens Hospitals and Nursing Homes, especially this time of year, but monthly at least. 

Through the VA I'm currently training with my Lab to certify her as my service animal AND ESA for my siezures and PTSD. It's irritating that I now need one, but it is what it is. My Border Collie is a bit too hypeer yet, but I look forward to training her to visit hospitals ect. in the future. I miss doing that for folks.

sw

Quote:
On 12/22/2017 at 9:46 AM, silverwolf1 said:

Rags and Shadow were both trained Therapy dogs, as was Tippy before them. They went with me to Childrens Hospitals and Nursing Homes, especially this time of year, but monthly at least. 

Through the VA I'm currently training with my Lab to certify her as my service animal AND ESA for my siezures and PTSD. It's irritating that I now need one, but it is what it is. My Border Collie is a bit too hypeer yet, but I look forward to training her to visit hospitals ect. in the future. I miss doing that for folks.

sw

It's cool that you were helping people that needed it; one would be surprised just how much therapy having a dog around can be,.. really, your a good person for doing that [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/[email protected] 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Sorry to hear you have seizures, epilepsy runs in my family, I was lucky not to get it, wouldn't say I'm all that lucky now though... I'm fighting cancer, probably don't have much longer to live, but I'm trying to keep positive..

Anyway I know several people with PTSD and know it's hard to live with, i have panic attacks myself but that's from social anxiety and stress, I have found that my dog brings me out of them any time it happens, he will cuddle up to me, or put his paw on me to try and get my attention.. just don't always have him around is the problem..