• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50s book

Those who’ve known me a while might remember that I’ve posted this in various places in the past.  I originally shared it with alt.sex.bestiality in the early 90s.  (Caution: primate sex ahead.)

==========================================================================

These are excerpts from <cite>Patterns of Sexual Behavior</cite> by Clellan Stearns Ford, Ph.D., and Frank Ambrose Beach, Ph.D., both professors at Yale at the time. The book’s copyright is 1951, so expect outdated information and 1951 viewpoints in some places. The publisher was Ace Books, Inc., of New York. I have not found any ISSN or ISBN number on or in the book (too old?).

==========================================================================

<cite>(p. 48)</cite>

The longest mammalian matings occur in the mink and sable. There is no locking, but once intromission has been achieved it is maintained for very long periods and several ejaculations appear to take place, with rest periods occurring in between. Timed matings of the sable have lasted for as long as 8 hours from the moment of original insertion until withdrawal.

<cite>(p. 152)</cite>

As Evans points out, it is paradoxical that Christian lawgivers who adopted the Jewish code against intercourse with beasts should have enlarged it to include the Jews themselves. Cohabitation of a Christian with a Jewess was held to be equivalent to “buggery” with animals. Some authorities included Turks and Saracens in the same category, “inasmuch as such persons in the eyes of the law and our holy faith differ in no wise from beasts.” (Evans, 1906, p. 153.) Men and women convicted of copulating with a human being who was not a Christian were put to death, together with their partners.

<cite>(p. 155)</cite>

Bestiality is fairly common among the Hopi Indians. Men are reported to have intercourse with burros, dogs, horses, sheep, and even chickens.

<cite>(pp. 155-156)</cite>

All the behavior described thus far has involved interaction between human beings and other animals in which the human partner took the initiative and controlled the relationship. This is not always the case. There are recorded instances in which subhuman animals have made distinctly sexual advances toward men or women. There is, furthermore, ample evidence to indicate the occasional occurrence of sexual relations between male and female animals belonging to different infrahuman species.

Yerkes describes behavior of this type shown by an immature female gorilla named Congo. The ape made sexual responses to male and female dogs, showing a distinct preference for the male. She also reacted sexually to human males and, if permitted to do so, sometimes grasped a man’s hand and pulled it into contact with her genitalia, making masturbatory movements. On other occasions Congo assumed the coital position and presented her genitals to human visitors. The following quotation from Yerkes’ monograph <cite>The Mind of the Gorilla</cite> illustrates a clear-cut case of sexual solicita­tion:

Quote:
Congo came close to me …. [and] throwing herself on her back she pressed her external genitalia against my feet and repeatedly and determinedly tried to pull me upon her, precisely as in the previous winter she had been observed to react to the male dog. In this activity she was markedly and vigorously aggressive, and it required considerable adroitness and strength of resistance on my part to withstand her attack. Thwarted in her first attempt, she arose, and standing in the natural position on all fours, immediately made what presumably is the usual or normal sex presentation of the female gorilla. As previously, the genitalia were directed toward me and she made persistent efforts to achieve contact. It was during this standing presentation that I observed pronounced tremor or shivering of the entire body. This phenomenon, in connection with the pronounced sexual excitement, appears commonly in man, both male and female. … Subsequently as Congo continued to make sex presentations either on her back or standing, the tremor was observed at least twice. …This behavior, which I characterize as sex aggression, was exhibited for several minutes. Her insistence of sexual contact was extremely embarrassing … and somewhat dangerous because of her enormous strength, but throughout the period of observation she was unusually gentle and friendly, although determined in her efforts to satisfy her desire. (Yerkes, 1928, pp. 68-69.)

Yerkes also noted attempts on the part of a female chimpanzee to use a man’s hand as a masturbatory object, and Zuckerman describes a similar behavior in a gray-cheeked mangabey at times when she was in the phase of genital swelling (see Chapters V and XI). Bingham states that the immature female chimpanzees which he studied often showed sexual excitement in the presence of male humans. Male apes appeared to be more responsive to women. According to Hamilton, some female macaques display the sexual presentation and smack their lips in stereotyped sex invitation when men approach their living quarters.

<cite>(pp. 157-158)</cite>

Zuckerman observed a young male orangutan who repeatedly attempted to copulate with an immature female chimpanzee. G. V. Hamilton recorded frequent intercourse between male macaques and female baboons that lived together in his yard. The female’s desire appeared to be insatiable, presumably, according to Hamilton, because the macaque’s penis is much smaller than that of an adult baboon.

Male and female apes and monkeys will also seek sexual contact with subprimate partners. One of the young female chimpanzees studied by Bingham was given a cat as a cagemate and repeatedly pulled the animal upon her genitalia as she lay on her back. Upon other occasions the ape drew the cat’s tail to her vulva. Several times she got down on all fours and, facing away from the cat, determinedly pushed her genitals against the other animal. Some of Hamilton’s male monkeys attempted to copulate with snakes, kittens, puppies, and foxes.

Kempf offered partners of several species to male and female primates. he found that a wide variety of animals evoked sexual reactions on the part of monkeys of either sex. Sometimes the attempts at sexual relations led to the formation of relatively protracted periods of close association. “When baboons and monkeys find animals which do not cause fear and are satisfactory sexual objects they tend to associate with them and in a sense to adopt them.” (Kempf, 1917, p. 151.) One female macaque copulated repeatedly with a male dog, as described in the follow quotation:

Quote:
A small mongrel dog visited the yard …[and] on his approach all of the monkeys would take to the trees and chatter threateningly. But finally Maud descended to the ground and assumed the female position for copulation. The dog mounted her, dog fashion, and partially entered her. She display marked sexual excitement, and ever thereafter would descend to the ground and copulate with a dog whenever he entered the yard. …Maud finally offered to a strange dog, and the animal bit off her arm. Since then all monkeys have shown hostility to dogs. (Hamilton, 1914, p. 309).

Bibliography

Evans, E. P. <cite>The Criminal Prosecution and Capital Punishment of Animals.</cite> New York: E. P. Dutton and Co., Inc., 1906.

Hamilton, G. V. “A study of sexual tendencies in monkeys and baboons.” <cite>J. Anim. Behav.</cite>, Vol. IV, 295-318, 1914.

Kempf, E. J. “The social and sexual behavior of infrahuman primates with some comparable facts in human behavior.” <cite>Psychoanalytic Review</cite>, Vol. IV, 127-154, 1917.

Yerkes, R. M. “The mind of the gorilla. III. Memory.” <cite>Comp. Psychol. Monogr.</cite>, Vol. V, 1-92, 1928.

[Image: patterns-front.png.2745e7d75dea93ca57a8ea04814bff44.png]

[Image: patterns-back.png.bd2ac8d9ed6710405e0afc787f43a4b4.png]